Sunday, January 11, 2015

Before I discovered that I was allergic to wheat my go to fast "meal" was Campbell's Cream of Tomato Soup. That with a grilled cheese sandwich was to die for. Well unfortunately Campbells doesn't make a gluten free option for tomato soup. It has been about 3 years since I have had any...till now.. I found this recipe and tweaked it a little. Oh my goodness...it's sooo good. Give it a try. It freezes really well. Just thaw and reheat.

Linda's Cream of Tomato Soup

1 29 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
6 cups water
2 bay leaves
6 cloves
1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil

Place all the ingredients into a large pot or dutch oven and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.

While it is cooking mix;
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup flour
in a medium size saucepan over a low heat. Slowly, while whisking, add 4 cups of milk. Any type will do (I like almond). Cook until thick.

Back to the tomato mixture:
Add 6 T. sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper.

Add the milk mixture to the tomato mixture and stir until mixed. Simmer for another 4 minutes stirring frequently.

Serve and enjoy. It's so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or comment??? Let me know here! Thanks, Linda