Monday, May 27, 2013

Celiac symptoms - in case you didn't know

Hi, My name is Linda and I am allergic to wheat.  Nice huh?  I found out a long time ago but did nothing about it.  Back then you didn't have the choices you had today and I am not into self deprivation.  I have been told that I could live on bread and butter and it's true.
When I was first diagnosed I was devastated. I could no longer have my beloved bread.  So, being that I knew more than the average doctor, I kept on eating it.  Hamburgers, pizza, crackers (with butter) you name it...if it had wheat in it, it was my friend.  Nothing happened to me.  Joy of all  joys...they were wrong!
I was wrong and 30 years later I learned I've paid for it.  I have finally woke up and have stopped my wheat addiction.
If you are reading this it's likely you either are allergic to wheat as I am or have Celiac Disease.  If not here are the symptoms as found on webmd.com

They include:

  • Gas, abdominal swelling, and bloating. These symptoms result from a failure of the small intestine camera to absorb nutrients from food. You may also have mildstomach pain, but it is usually not severe.
  • Abnormal stools. Diarrhea or bulky, loose (or watery), pale, frothy, and foul-smelling stools often occur. The stools may contain a large amount of fat and may stick to the sides of the toilet bowl, making them hard to flush. Although children and adults often experience the same types of symptoms, intestinal problems, such as constipation, are more likely to occur in children.
  • Weight loss. Adults and children may have unexplained weight loss despite having a normal appetite. Younger children may fail to gain weight and grow as expected, a condition known as failure to thrive.
  • Fatigue and weakness. Celiac disease can result in a general lack of energy and strength. Sometimes poor nutrient absorption causes fatigue and weakness.
  • Vomiting. Some people may get sick after eating gluten. Children are more likely than adults to have this reaction.
Celiac disease may also lead to:

The ones underlined and in bold are the problems I have.  I haven't been tested because we already know I am, as my allergist says, highly allergic to wheat.  So, I stay away from wheat and don't eat out very often.  Therefore, as I love to eat and as you see I didn't bold our underline weight loss, I had to come up with wheat free delicious meals that would satisfy me and my very picky husband....and I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or comment??? Let me know here! Thanks, Linda